Saving and revealing Poole’s most important heritage.
Animation produced by students of the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA) at Bournemouth University
Our Museum Project will conserve the medieval Town Cellars which is one of the most important historic buildings in Poole. It will open up and reveal this magnificent 14th century building creating a cultural attraction for local people and visitors to enjoy.
This exciting heritage attraction will make innovative use of digital technology, be a flagship for the regeneration of Poole’s quayside and create new opportunities for community and commercial activity.
By re-purposing existing spaces we will secure and display our internationally important maritime collection, ensure an integrated local history service and provide essential new public facilities for our 200,000 visitors.
Poole Museum’s strapline "sharing Poole’s community heritage" has greeted over 1.3 million visitors and residents since 2007. Our Museum Project will enable us to be even more of a community hub, sharing our resources and co-curating our displays and activities with local people.
Our Museum Project will
- Repair, conserve and open up full access to one of Poole’s most important historic buildings, the Town Cellars;
- Integrate the Poole History Centre with the collections, staff and volunteers in the Museum;
- Create new maritime displays for our internationally important collections;
- Create new ground floor public space, facilities and lift access to meet demand from 200,000 visitors;
- Create a new artists’ studio/gallery and community space connecting with the third floor gallery.
We asked for the public's views on the proposals to restore and open up our buildings between 31 May and 29 June 2018. We have submitted a first round bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund and the tremendous wealth of feedback we have received played an important role in this process.
The consultation on the first phase of the 'Our Museum' project closed on Friday 29 June 2018 and you can find the results on the Borough of Poole consultation pages here:
How you can support this exciting project
Please email Rachel Martin at email@example.com